Monday, January 31, 2005

The WCL and Champions

The MVP award is probably sports highest accolade. In fact it is quite an honor even out of the sports world. For example, you could earn it at your profession. Let's say car salesman. You are the best. You are the most valuable player.

Rookie of the year is the highest distinction of the freshman class. All rookies strive for it, but there can be only one.

The question is, has a rookie ever taken home both awards? I racked my brain and could not think of any player that has taken home both awards. I did a quick Google search and found nothing. Certainly there are some examples of some rookies that came close. The first player that comes to my mind is Ben Roethlisberger of the Pittsburgh Steelers. He had a great rookie year, but will fall short of the coveted MVP award.

Tucked away a few miles north of Lexington, is a town called Cynthiana. Here you will find home to the Whitaker Croquet League or WCL. To give you a little history, the league was founded about 20 years ago. It started small, and very informal. It has come along way and is still growing. Here is where we learn of the WCL's first ever rookie to take home both the Rookie of the Year Award AND Most Valuable Player. The year was 2003. The newcomer was none other than me. On one of my first trips to the Whitaker compound I was quickly thrown into the most competitive league I have ever experienced. The trash talking was intense. The Whitakers would and will stop at nothing (including cheating) to win. I can think of one Whitaker that is so good that he handicaps himself by playing with only one arm. Another will intentionally not go out so that they can torment the other players as rover.

However, that season nothing could break me. I totally electrified the league. With signature moves, such as hitting balls into oblivion, and overcoming the nonstop cheating I could not be stopped.

At the conclusion of the 2003 I was unanimously voted in as MVP and Rookie of the Year, a feat that has yet to be repeated in the WCL and throughout the sports world.

Tonight as you think about your heroes and their tremendous accolades, and as you think of goals to set for yourself feel free to think of me and my 2003 season.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alecia Whitaker said...

As a Whitaker, and a prominent member of the "WCL", I would like to voice outrage at this post. There has never been a "Rookie of the Year" or "MVP" - but Whitakers everywhere would agree that if we ever elect one, a requirement would definitely be that he/she would have to be a Whitaker. It's pathetic that, since Jerrod Pace was kicked out of the PCL in 2001 for having illegal cork in his mallet, he is fabricating fame in our family league.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Bobbie Jo said...

If there was a Rookie of the Year, you MIGHT be considered seeing as how you were the only rookie. However, I seriously doubt any Whitaker would ever give the MVP award to a tricky Corbinite such as yourself. This is a prestigious league after all.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Gramma-Whit said...

Being the WBBC (World Bocce Ball Champion) and WBBC Rookie of the Year 2004, I understand where you're coming from. The Whitakers are tough challengers and we must take credit when we can. Opportunites are so fleeting.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home